My Community
May 20, 2024, 08:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft Results 2009 picks 61-  (Read 866 times)
Igorz88
All Star

View Profile Email
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »

61. S.Niedermayer - Fanky
62. D.Wideman - Felix 
63. S.Weber - Igor
64. S.Souray - Boris
65. C.Pronger - Lenny 
66. B.Rafalski - Lou
67. J.Bouwmeester - Lou 
68. D.Setoguchi - Lenny
69. P.Stasny - Marat   
70. P.Marleau - Felix 
71. M.Cammaleri - Igor
72. D.Brassard - Russ
73. B.Campbell - Fanky
74. D.Briere - Max
75. J.Franzen - Boris
76. Vlad -   Scott Gomez
77. Vito -   Marty Turco
78. Vito -   Nathan Horton
79. Max -   Mikko Koivu
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:39:04 PM by goon » Logged
nykry
Rookie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21:53 PM »

80. Fanky - Travis Zajac(C)
81. Igor    - Claude Giroux(W)
82. Russ   - Mike Ribeiro(C)
83. Marat  - Brad Boyes(W)
84. Lou     - David Krejci(C)
85. Vlad    - Patrik Berglund(C)
86. Boris   - Todd White(C)
87. Lenny-  Martin Havlat(W)
88. Felix  - Mark Streit (D)
89. Marat - David Backes (C)
90. Lou - Jordan Staal (C)
91. Max - picks tomorrow.

Hey Guys, Marat here.
Gents, we are done for tonight Sep 15th. Guys have a hockey game and fantasy hockey takes a back stage.
Not sure about you, but I was thrilled to finally watch some Pro Hockey. Though it ain't the NHL hockey yet, but pre-season is better than no hockey at all.

Some thoughts on my draft.
I hate to pick in the middle of the first round. In my book you either at the top 3 or you better off at the end of the first round. If I was picking at my usual position (11th or 10th) goalie would have been my first choice. But picking 6th I knew i was looking at the center. So Getzlaf goes at 4. I am not looking at Thornton (since at that time he has no Heater yet), so it is either Lecavalier, Eric Staal or Carter for me. I love Lecavalier this year, but he had such a bad season, that I can not take him here, because I know he will last. Staal would not last, but I like Carter upside as well. Carter is not a bonafide 6th pick, but the guy can score, so I take him. (Kovalchuk was my top rated winger on the board, but I want a center in this round). Eric Staal goes just before my pick (sad) Of course goalies go and I end up with the weird opportunity. I want Lecavalier here again, but freaking Mike Green is available. I know he ain't scoring 30 goals again, but all other top Caps guys are gone (Semin, Backstrom, Ovy). I need to get on that offense. Mike Green is the guy, if continues the way he played last year, I got a winger at the D spot. So I pass on Flying Frenchman. Felix gets him a pick or two later. (sad again). Now I am looking at a goalie or winger. I love Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan (i know it is early for Ryan, but would be perfect for Perry), but since I have no goalies I am taking Cam Ward. As solid as they come. 4th round rolls around. Perry and Ryan still there. I want Perry, but I miscalculate the need for goalies. I take Steve Mason expecting a run on goalies. Not only almost no goalies go for the next 10 picks or so but I lose on Perry and Ryan. (very very sad). So I am looking at next tier of players here. I think the guys I want like morrow would still be there if I trade down, plus I am still expecting that run on goalies. And I know I can not start it, since I have 2 already. So Felix calls and expresses a need for my pick, I am gladly ready to oblige. I hope he can possibly start a run on goalies and as I said my guy should  be there later. So I improved on the bench and secondary goalie run does come to fruition. My next pick is the first pick in the keeper round. Tough decision. There are better players that Tavares. But upside tough to ignore. So i take a plunge and cross over to the Dark side. If god is the Hockey fan he will punish me for that and Tavares will not be a superstar, I think he can be. I expect Crosby like numbers in his rookie season. Do I think he is of a Crosby material - yes. Do I believe he can be Crosby - probably not. The funny thing would be if Tavares is a late bloomer (ala Joe Thornton, break out in the 4th year or so) So I keep him for his bad years and drop on the verge of super stardom. My thoughts here, his team sucks, but he is their savior and #1 center. The risk is minimal I think. Lets see if it pays off. I follow up with another potential (but often injured) superstar on bad team. Stastny is good and could be very good if he stays healthy. Backes and Boyes are not worthy keepers I think, but should provide me with quality numbers this year for a good price.
Now looking back and knowing how the first couple of rounds went, I think I could have done better with the following:
1st round pick 6 - take Bingo Bongo Luongo
2nd round pick 11 - skip on Green and take Lecavalier
3rd round pick 9 - take Cory Perry
4th round pick 1 - follow up with Bobby Ryan
5th round take another goalie (either Steve Mason if available or Ryan Miller)
6th round take Tavares and follow up in the 7th with one of the Ds like Streit.

so here the head to head comparison of what I have and what I could have had:
J. Carter, M. Green, Ward, S. Mason, Morrow, Tavares and Stastny
vs
Luongo, Lecavalier, Perry, B. Ryan, R. Miller, Tavares and Streit.

which one do you like better?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:59:21 AM by goon » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: