My Community
May 20, 2024, 07:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010-2011 Draft Diary  (Read 890 times)
goon
Administrator
Starter

"To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield."

View Profile Email
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »

Fantasy Hockey draft Diary of a wimpy Fantasy Addict:

With Funny man Bryzgalov in my pocket I am thinking goalie later this draft. ( check out this link of him in the interview:) http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/499/video-blog-ilya-bryzgalov-phoenixs-funny-guy

Also having Stastny and Tavares in my keeper line up makes me a bit less worried about Centers. Though I do want to get a top one earlier than later.

1st Round:
     Got 5th overall. Mentally cursed. Beyond big 3 there was only one player i wanted in the first round early and I knew Vitalik would not be kind enough to pass on him. Thinking having N. Backstrom (C, WAS) as a first rounder and Steven Stamkos as a keeper is not a shabby start to the draft for Broadway Stars. But OK back to me. Starring at the twins (this time my wife is not jealous and does not give me an evil eye, so I am safe either way no matter who I pick). Mind screams take Henrik (scarce position and breakout year), heart whispers Daniel. Went with the heart. Probably a mistake. Henrik went right after and Penguins make a splash by not only taking Mike Green in the first (i had him top of my list in the second, since last year i got him late in the second) but also dealing for another 1st round pick. The Price given up was hefty, but he took the ageless wonder Brodeur. Not the goalie I had first on my goalie cheat sheet, but can you really argue with the stats.

2nd Round:
     Not a lot of centers went before my pick (interesting, false sense of security). Once again I am looking into the dilemma between line-mates. This time Getlaf Vs Perry. I have Bobby Ryan on the short list as well, but can't take him this early, though his value (point per salary) proposition is great here. I do no know he is not making it back to me though. Can't get them all i guess. If you love them, let them go. Go with the Corey Perry. (once again that damn heart). Not only do DX takes Getlaff right after, there is a huge run on Centers and Goalies in the second round after me. Kopitar, Staal, Towes all go in the second along with Getz. Oh where all my centers are ...

3rd Round:
     Need a top Center. Ignoring Bobby Ryan at all cost. Hoping for Jeff Carter here. And keeping Pekka Rinne at the top of my goalie list. Sokol stabs a knife in my heart by grabbing Carter 2 picks before me. I am thinking Rinne, but once again a thought of a top Center enters my mind. I am thinking this is the year we all find out if Vinny Lecavalier is done forever as viable Top Fantasy Center option. Let me be the one riding this "Chto, Gde, Kogda" moment. If he is healed with Stevie Y at the wheel and Gagne acquisition I think he can get back to his glory days. Roll the dice number 1. The only other option at C at that time was Mike Richards. And sure enough he goes right after. As expected Ryan goes. Good value there. If I knew he would last that far, I would have gotten Getzlaff in the second and Ryan here. well, well.

4th Round:
     Couple of goalies go. Mine is still there. Happy as a school girl asked to go to the prom. I am almost ready to pick. Fanky "Transformers" himself (pun intended on his team name) into a huge SOB and takes Rinne right under my nose. This hurts more than Carter pick. I think I cried a little. Do not like Fanky anymore. Time to change direction. (not thinking goalie anymore, oh how fragile human mind is). Noticing Krecji here. Get an update from hockey sources on Savard. His outlook looks somewhat bleak. This seals the deal for me. Expecting something unexpected (in a good way) from Krecji this year. Dice #2

5th Round:
     My chance to make a statement. See couple of my Ds from the list go early. Do not like that, but have to ignore for now. Thanks to my keepers I will be in the "silent partner" mode for almost 4 rounds (skipping 6,7,8 and picking last in the 9th) Luck is a funny lady. And she does not forgive stupidity. I know my list of break out prospects will be raped in the next 4 rounds. So I have to take a hit and damage one. This one seems special. Star in the making, but will he be anything more than 40 point guy this year. Do not know. But plunging into the ocean of dispare and select Jordan Eberle. Only Time will tell. Should have taken a goalie out of the keeper status. But did not think (Igor called, was building a Suka at the shul, once again no jealousy vibe from the wife. i guess not all sukas are created equal)

Rounds 6,7,8
     Fasted, went to the synagogue, had a chance to go on the business trip, got my wife an iPad (she is busy now, I have time to concentrate on draft). My queue is getting depleted fast here. Hoping one of the 2 goalies would last. I knew rask and mason will go with bunch of others. Should have taken Rask in the 5th. Big mistake. Probably the biggest of the draft. Now hoping for turco or leighton in no particular order. Regrets: All good young cheap D is off the board. Sucks. Starting to hate a lot of managers for their picks, but have to blame myself.

Round 9
     Both of the goalies are there. Will give Boris a chance to pick one. He passes. I am not joining a D run. I have my horses, they maybe a bit more expensive than Hedmans, Mcbains and Karlsons etc ..., but should get the job done. Will make a "Chingis Han" type of run on them later. Notice Versteeg hanging out there. In limited ice time in Chicago he was one of their top scorers. Now in the Leaf country ice time will change. Hoping Points will come with that. Hoping for at lest one decent line on the Leafs. Feeling good about this pick.

Round 10:
     I know it is only 3 goalies that are needed to be taken, but I like only 2 of them. So I decided to let Boris take 2 as his last 2 picks. Thinking "Anderson like" pick here and go with Leighton. If healthy he can win 40 games. Team is that good. Big IF though. Have to roll the dice. Plus maybe I will get lucky on the bench with another goalie. (now that i took Neuvirth, i am not so sure. need leighton to hold it together to have a chance this year)

Round 11 -15:
     At this time I stop taking players based on my ranking. Look at what I want and just keep taking. I am deciding to go on my own mini run on D. Starting with Paul Martin (getting out of Devils Den into Penguins Pond is like hitting Power Ball jackpot and yet realizing it). I have a list of around 20 Ds I would feel good with. for every missed Edler, Suter i Counter with White, Enstrom, Whitney and Andy Greene. The last one actually stays in the Devils Den, but somebody has to setup Kovy, Parise and Zajac. Feeling good on D. Have on more, but will wait on him a bit.

Round 15:
     Want to take a center. But another center in its way. I need him off the board. Thinking DX will take him which will allow me feel good about my center Pick. Igor takes a winger. Grabner off the board. I am not ready to make a choice at center so I go "Flash" Fleishman. Who knows what this guy can do in this line up. Worth a gamble for sure.

Round 16:
     Finally Lombardi off the board. It allows me to get Alex Steen. I know he is somewhat sandwiched by a lot of competition (Andy Mac is way better but i am scared) but his finish to last year where he got 43 points in the lest 40 games or so is as equally impressive as his inability to get more than 4 points in the first 40. WTF. Have to see which Steen shows up.

Round 17:
     Thinking Eric Fehr here. but there are so many wingers. OMG. let somebody else enjoy a low salary break out potential potential. Decided to skip him and went for Tommy G. Gilbert is another case of Jekyl and Hide here. The guys was left for dead for more than half of season with Oil last year. Like 10 points in 60 games or something. Waist I say. But something Funny Happen on the Way to Suckiness. Last 15 games 20+ points and respectable 30+ point total for the year. The guy has it. Hope he will show it. And once again the wife could not care less.

Round 18:
     As expected Fehr goes just before me. Clowe as well. Your guys are too funny. Or maybe all of my google docs including my Draft Cheat Sheet is visible by all. But hell with it. Will take the highest ranked guy on my list and it happens to be Scotty beam me up with "Stone Hands" Hartnell. Got to have faith. maybe he will score 20-25 this year. if not how does it feel to be a waiver drop Scotty?

My Main rounds are done. Sitting and enjoying the winding down main roster draft.

Couple of Thoughts:
Trading his first round and obtaining more picks than Angelina Jolly has children in the first 6 rounds might make DX the most dangerous team this year.
Overall I like my team. just need some luck with a couple of picks (like 10)
Teams that strike me as very strong on regular roster are: Igor, Russ, Irvin, Vlad.

good luck with bench picks guys.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:03:58 PM by goon » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: